Immigration Law

Your Trusted Advocate

Can your family members get visas if you have a work visa?

Employment is one of the most straightforward ways for someone born in another country to enter the United States. If an employer will sponsor you, you can potentially enter the United States legally and eventually become a permanent resident or naturalized citizen.

There are multiple kinds of employment visas that workers can apply for in different industries. Skilled and educated professionals have a visa that applies to them. Managers and those well-established with a company expanding into the United States have a different visa program.

Determining that you may be eligible for a work visa can be very exciting, but it can come with a lot of fears. Many people worry about a long-term separation from their family members and loved ones due to work-based immigration. Can you bring your family with you if you enter the United States on a work visa?

Certain family members may qualify to come to the U.S. with you

If you qualify for a specific work visa program, you may be able to seek visas for your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.

Just like the person with the work visa, family members need to qualify for entry into the United States. They will have to submit paperwork, pay fees and complete a background check. They will likely also need to undergo a medical examination and receive immunizations if they don’t have all of the required vaccinations already.

However, provided that you are capable of meeting these requirements, it may be possible for your spouse or children to come with you when you enter the United States on a work-based visa.

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields

Are you a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States?
I have read the disclaimer.*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.